How can we improve findmypast?

Ensure source citations on all documents

Sources for the documents are critical. I don't seem to be able to find these currently.

249 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Barbara J StarmansBarbara J Starmans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    KevinKevin shared a merged idea: Include Census Source details on Household Transcription printouts.  ·   · 
    Rita KennedyRita Kennedy shared a merged idea: Please give proper references for documents, and make it clear which reference series they are from. Particularly for NTA documents.  ·   · 
    Chris PatonChris Paton shared a merged idea: Reinstate original census source information on Scottish censuses  ·   · 
    Mark MorganMark Morgan shared a merged idea: Each record set should have detailed information on how to correctly cite the record you have found.  ·   · 

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian BruceAdrian Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re "as you also run ScotlandsPeople you have access to it!!"

It may not be quite as simple as you would like. DCTFH run SP on behalf of the Scottish Government - they do not control SP themselves so cannot just copy over files for use on FMP.

What they undoubtedly *should* be able to do is walk down the corridor (be it real or virtual) and talk to the guys who program SP or load its data and understand the referencing system for the Scottish census. That's certainly what I want them to do (see below). It's synergy and is a major justification for big suppliers.

• Fiona HallFiona Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! We need the PROPER references for Scottish Census data. And as you alos run Scotlands People you have access to it!!

• Rosemary MorganRosemary Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FMP USA has recently blogged about the importance of citing sources correctly: http://www.findmypast.com/content/citations. This lesson needs to be learnt in the UK as well, and nowhere is this more visible than with the Scottish census transcriptions, which need their proper GROS citations (not the made up English version). Please correct this asap.

• CPCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really doesn't matter what citation format FMP decides to use, as long as they use one. Basically, FMP should just churn out the source information it must already have been given!

But perhaps the most straightforward way is to use the formats dictated by the source repositories (like TNA). Somebody spent good money on devising the individual archive hierarchies so it is just plain courtesy to refer to them in the manner indicated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The present way of citing the Scottish censuses makes it extremely difficult to trace the originals.

Re Scottish censuses - ask the Scottish Government why! They've the ones who'd have to licence them.

• C PertC Pert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a Dundee based company DCT should be in touch with the Scottish system of registration. Please sort things out asap.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Scottish census citations on FMP now have RG numbers. which makes no sense.
        Please put it back as it was on the old UK site
        DM

I suggest you consult with your colleagues at ScotlandsPeople to understand their referencing system. Let's have some synergy across DCT!

Nor do they use the HO or RG classes as the Scottish censuses were never at Kew, so will never have been assigned class, piece and folio. So far as I know, they use Enumeration District, etc, but your colleagues at ScotlandsPeople will know all about them.

So far as I can see the 1901, 1891, 1881, 1871, 1861 censuses still have RG numbers, which must be totally made up from the census year. Please remove them from all the SCOTTISH censuses.

The 1841 and 1851 censuses have correctly lost the HO class, thankfully. This analysis is based on a very, very small sample.

Given that the Evidence Explained templates are directed at American practice and that few British genealogists have even heard of EE's author, Elizabeth Shown Mills, I think this is a low priority task.

HOWEVER - each record set SHOULD be clear about where the data has come from. Just having, in the transcription, "Diocese of Chester Bishop's Transcripts of Baptisms c1600-1910" (e.g.) is not good enough - it needs to record the parish from where the data originated, particularly as earlier registers don't have the parish name on every page.

So yes, each record / record set should say where it's come from but do NOT get hung up on "correct" citations. Just describe it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base